Saturday, January 22, 2011

Sobbing with the Sitcoms

Which TV shows make you cry?

 I'm sitting on my bed, relaxing after an exhaustive cleaning session, and trying to clean up my DVR. Just like aiming for the 50 point holes in the skee ball game, I go for the 2 hour shows first, to free up the most space. Tonight's pick was The Biggest Loser. This is a show that should only be watched via DVR, in my opinion. The drawn out beeping, waiting for this week's weight, is one of my pet peeves in life. I fast forward through all of that in addition to most of the chatter and even some challenges. I like to see the workouts and hear Jillian yell more than all of the other filler. If I watch enough Biggest Loser, her yells eventually penetrate me and I, too, go to the gym or prepare a healthier meal. At any rate, it helps me eat fewer Goldfish crackers, which are steadily becoming an obsession, winking at me from their shiny Costco sized bags.

Having sped through most of the show, I'm watching people weigh in and I find myself tearing up at a guy who just reached 350 pounds. Even as I type it, I realize how ridiculous that is. In reflecting, it dawns on me that I also got watery eyes for this week's Teen Mom 2 baby diagnosis/reunion with baby daddy hug. Celebrity Rehab's finale, wherein the patients report their aftercare plans tugged on my heartstrings, too. A final sob session was for the final contestant on the premiere of American Idol this week. The back story was about a boy who had lived in a homeless shelter for two years and was going to use whatever success he could glean from Idol to help his family out. Tears aplenty on that one and I don't even usually watch that show (except for the auditions, of course).

As you can tell, there's not a ton of time in my lineup for actual sitcoms, although when Sophia's son dies in a Golden Girls episode, my heart is always wrenched. I try to avoid that episode now because Sophia's sad words haunt me- they are like my family, after all.

So, what shows made you cry this week? I can't believe I am alone is this somewhat deranged phenomenon.

5 comments:

  1. This is why I don't have TV. I feel like I have enough drama in my life already!

    I watch the office and modern family pretty regularly. I think that's it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to clean out my DVR sometimes too. I've cut down on the shows I watch but there are still a few I take the time for. I love having a DVR because of all the time it saves. I enjoyed the season premiere of the new Idol this week. Steven Tyler cracked me up! Some of the stories of the contestants are very sweet and some are sad.
    Well, now I'm craving Goldfish crackers. Thanks a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that Steven Tyler was clearly hitting on the 16 year old girls! His scarves brushed into me once at Fanuiel Hall in Boston.
    It's fun to watch someone ELSE'S drama-it's like a bandaid for my own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not alone in this. I cried in the Bachelor, and not out of shame from watching it. I have cried during Biggest Loser too many times to count. There are too many to list. The real problem is when I find myself crying over commercials too...I think I have been pushed over the edge. I agree about the bandaid comment, I feel like that most of the time. I like to turn on the TV to find something more ridiculous and drama filled then my current drama to make me feel better...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm proud to say I was tear-free through Idol tonight.

    ReplyDelete