Wednesday, May 2, 2012

MTV Movie Award Nominations

You can find a complete article and list here.
Here you will just find my opinions about Fan voting opened yesterday so you can have an opinion, too.
Movie of the Year
» "Bridesmaids"
» "The Hunger Games" This would be my choice to win. From this post and this post, you already know my thoughts on this movie, good, bad, or otherwise. Was it the best movie of the year? No. But this is MTV. The criteria is different. The Help won the fancy award already. Hunger Games deserves to win based on hype and popularity alone. » "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2" (I should at least admit I didn't see this)
» "The Help"
» "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1"
Best Male Performance
» Daniel Radcliffe, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2" Didn't see
» Ryan Gosling, "Drive" He is always a winner for hotness but this movie bored me to death, even on an airplane.
» Joseph Gordon-Levitt, "50/50" Didn't see
» Josh Hutcherson, "The Hunger Games" Based on the fact that this is the only movie I saw to completion, Josh has to get my vote. I do appreciate that he loved the Hunger Games books prior to being cast so I have a soft spot in my heart for him in the role. I'm a little shocked in this category, though. I see a lot of movies, how am I so ignorant in this area?
»
Channing Tatum, "The Vow" Didn't see
Best Female Performance
» Jennifer Lawrence, "The Hunger Games"
» Kristin Wiig, "Bridesmaids"
» Emma Stone, "Crazy, Stupid, Love" I liked this performance the most. And I'm far more qualified here, having seen all but one movie in this category.
»
Emma Watson, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2"
» Rooney Mara, "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"Even though it wasn't my favorite and I actually am still haunted by it, I do think Mara deserves the award most. Probably because I am still haunted by it. This movie had THE MOST graphic rape scene I have ever seen. I actually detested it and don't think movies should get that graphic; it's not needed. But because it was in there and she acted through some really horrific stuff, she should win.
Best Comedic Performance
» Melissa McCarthy, "Bridesmaids" There are a lot of great candidates in this category and I actually saw ALL of these movies. This is a close one because Wiig and Jonah Hill are both really worthy, too. However, if I had to choose just one, which is the way these things work, I have to give it to McCarthy for the bathroom scene and puppy stealing. She really made this movie shine as her small gestures and comments and ambiguous sexuality added something to every scene she was in.
» Kristen Wiig, "Bridesmaids"
» Zach Galifianakis, "The Hangover Part II"
» Jonah Hill, "21 Jump Street" For the record, this was one of the best movies of the year and I don't think it got enough hype, except from people who saw it and loved it. Even my mother laughed her way through this one and she probably didn't get half of the references and was super offended at the end.
» Oliver Cooper, "Project X" Also for the record, this movie should not even be categorized as a comedy. Me and hubby went to see it one night because it was pitched as funny and, more so, because it was playing at the Premium Cinema and we could get free soda and popcorn. I felt like ripping out my uterus after this movie. Immediately, my number one priority in life became making sure my 14 year old nephew never saw this movie. The whole thing is about kids throwing a big party but it's not the fun teen party of 90's movies like Can't Hardly Wait or that one with Freddy Prinze Jr. This one has lots of naked underage breasts and violence. Bottom line: it was icky.
Breakthrough Performance
» Melissa McCarthy, "Bridesmaids"
» Rooney Mara, "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"Again, I didn't like this movie much because of the rape scene but this girl acted her pants off. Literally. Admittedly, I did not see Super 8 or The Descendants (although the latter is on my list) but of the other three, Mara did the most actual acting and was more of a "break through" than the other two, who had roles at least some people knew about before.
» Liam Hemsworth, "The Hunger Games"
» Elle Fanning, "Super 8"
» Shailene Woodley, "The Descendants"
Best Cast
» "Bridesmaids"
» "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2"
» "The Hunger Games"
» "21 Jump Street"Again, this one is close. The Bridesmaids ladies were a great team and the ladies of The Help were the most talented but as it's the MTV awards, we can give street cred points and 21 Jump Street was oozing with that. Not just Jonah Hill who is funny and Channing Tatum who is yummy, but all the additional appearances are what rounded this cast out. The guest appearances by original cast were fun highlights.
» "The Help"
Best On-Screen Transformation
» Elizabeth Banks, "The Hunger Games"
» Rooney Mara, "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"
» Johnny Depp, "21 Jump Street"
» Michelle Williams, "My Week With Marilyn"
» Colin Farrell, "Horrible Bosses" To take such a ruggedly attractive man and make him into a greasy creeper is a feat. This transformation should win for it's makeunderness. And let's just compare: Banks just had a wig and some makeup, which she is used to for other roles, just less extreme. Mara had fake piercings. Depp dresses up all the time to be a pirate. Williams is already blond. Farrell's normal hotness was turned into a balding, ugly older man with bad habits. Win.
Best Fight
» Daniel Radcliffe vs. Ralph Fiennes, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2"
» Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson vs. Alexander Ludwig, "The Hunger Games"
» Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill vs. Kid Gang, "21 Jump Street"
» Tom Hardy vs. Joel Edgerton, "Warrior" I didn't see this one but I still want to vote for it because I wanted to see it SOOO bad. The only other two I saw were HG and JS and neither one of those fight scenes blew my mind. I'm sure this would have. This just makes me mad at Redbox for not having it anymore and at Netflix for only putting tv shows on instant watch. Grrr. Btw, where do Redbox movies go when they are not in the boxes anymore???
» Tom Cruise vs. Michelle Nyqvist, "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol"
Best Kiss
» Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, "Crazy, Stupid, Love"I'm going to give this one my vote because any kiss, really, involving the draw joppingly hot Gosling and the charmingly humble Stone is magical. 96% of women in the US would cause a loved one bodily injury in order to kiss Ryan Gosling. That's a scientifically derived statistic. And Emma Stone is so relateable. Hands down winner.
» Rupert Grint and Emma Watson, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2"
» Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson, "The Hunger Games" This kiss was weak. Don't give credit where it's not due just because when you were reading the books, you pictured a way hotter kiss.
» Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum, "The Vow"
» Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart, "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1"This is another series I really like, embarrassingly enough. This whole movie was about them trying to have "safe sex" so there was a lot of kissing. But the wedding kiss wasn't hot. I guess I'd have to know exactly which kiss they were referencing in order to make an informed decision.
Best Gut-Wrenching Performance
» "Bridesmaids" (Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Rose Byrne, Melissa McCarthy, Wendi McClendon-Covey and Ellie Kemper) If they mean gut wrenching in reference to pooping in the street, this one wins.
» "The Help" (Bryce Dallas Howard) But if they mean gut wrenching in bringing the audience through a range of emotion, feeling happy, sad, raw, thoughtul and moved, then The Help has to win. Really amazing.
» "21 Jump Street" (Jonah Hill and Rob Riggle)
» "Drive" (Ryan Gosling)
» "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol" (Tom Cruise)
Best On-Screen Dirtbag
» Bryce Dallas Howard, "The Help"
» Jon Hamm, "Bridesmaids"
» Jennifer Aniston, "Horrible Bosses"
» Colin Farrell, "Horrible Bosses"
» Oliver Cooper, "Project X" I don't think any of these dirtbags were the most horrible. I guess my vote has to land here because this movie was just dirt, overall.
Best Music
» "Party Rock Anthem," LMFAO ("21 Jump Street") Who can help themselves when they hear this song? And with the commercial with the hamsters, to boot? Also, I saw a really tall, solemn, white cop bust out to this at a wedding and my life has never been the same since.
» "A Real Hero," College & Electric Youth ("Drive")
» "The Devil Is in the Details," Chemical Brothers ("Hanna")
» "Impossible," Figurine ("Like Crazy")
» "Pursuit of Happiness," Kid Cudi (Steve Aoki remix) ("Project X")

No comments:

Post a Comment