Tuesday, June 12, 2012

N.O.E.M.

There was just no way for me NOT to share THIS POST from Jezebel. It confirms (with actual scientific studies) a theory I have struggled with for a long time. Basically, that morning people are happier than people like me. I have written about this a few times that I can remember, particularly in a recent post about circadian rhythms and as evidenced by the fact that one of my "label" options for posts is "I'm really not a morning person".

 It's clear to me that morning people are happier because I have always lived with such creatures. My mother wakes up at like 4:30 in the morning to go to work. When I make any plans to meet up with her on the weekends, she always wants to get going way earlier than I ever even see the numbers on the clock with an AM next to them. And she is one of the cheeriest individuals I know. After living with my mother, I somehow married a morning preferring person, too! He is one of those weirdos who doesn't even need an alarm clock. He can need to wake up at 6am one day and 730 the next and somehow his body just internalizes that fact and wakes him up on time. Meanwhile, if left to my own devices, I would sleep until soap operas were starting. The only benefit is that I can also stay up pretty late so I get to learn about all sorts of exciting infomercial products. (I still really want to try Pajama Jeans). He, too, is one of those people who others universally describe as "nice" and "happy". I'm pretty sure those are not the top two words that come to mind when people have to describe me. Something akin to cantankerous might be a better fit for me.

This article also gives a really simple, logical answer for why morning people are happier. If you are already going to be awake, you don't mind going to work as much as those of us who would rather be sleeping. Perfect answer. Ya, if you are all bright eyed and bushy tailed at 730, why not go get stuff done? Me, on the other hand...I don't want to get things done until about 11 am so those 9 am meetings are a bit more challenging.

Anyway, I get really excited about this topic because I really feel like I should start a night owl equality movement. NOEM. We can pronounce it like "gnome" because the Travelocity gnome is a big hit and that movie from the 60s or 70s, "the gnomemobile" is a classic in my book. Who's with me?

1 comment: