Monday, April 25, 2011

Power to the Peaceful

Last night I had a dream about being at a Michael Franti concert and it's totally shaping my today. If you are not familiar with this music, please close this page and go to itunes immediately to hear some. OR you could go to his website http://michaelfranti.com/ and hear some samples and learn more about him.
I think he is wonderful, clearly. I love music but I also love passionate people with a good cause. I get both from Michael Franti and Spearhead. Two years ago they played a show with the Counting Crows, who I LOVE LOVE LOVE. The show was so energetic and dynamic!!! I left feeling great and with a new band to follow.
One of the things I love about Counting Crows, other than the delicious Adam Duritz and his crooning, meaningful lyrics, is that he always makes announcements about local organizations to help. At each show, they have local non-profits tabling to let folks know about ways to volunteer or otherwise support the good work. To sweeten the pot even more, Counting Crows always has a local domestic violence agency as one of the highlighted organizations. Be still my social justice seeking heart!!!!!!!
Similarly, at one of Micheal Franti and Spearhead's shows at the Boston House of Blues, I got to write a letter to my state representative to express issues I care about that I think government should, too. You can register to vote at the concert: music helping young people be more responsible and aware! And Michael Franti's music is all about peace and love. It sounds so hippy but the music has a reggae flavor and you jump along to it. Oh, to be there now....
So, I saw, via facebook, that they are coming to Connecticut in June. Some parts of CT are very accessible from the Boston area. Alas, when I mapquested the spot they are playing, it's about 3 hours away on a Monday night. That's a no-go with the gas prices the way they are. And so far there are no closer shows. I am Jack's overwhelming sense of disappointment (Fight Club reference if you were wondering).
Since I can't go live my dream, I thought I would at least share it with you. Enjoy the music!!
PS.Did I mention that he hasn't worn shoes in like a decade?? Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment