Monday, February 13, 2012

Skinny Jeans

I finally bought skinny jeans. It's a trend I have been avoiding, hoping it would go away. While leggings are totally acceptable, skinny jeans are too close to "pegging" your jeans circa 1987. But I was really left with no choice; the store I like to get my jeans from which, admittedly, is really marketed at teens, ONLY sells skinny jeans. Oh, wait, or superskinny jeans. I even asked for some flares or bootcuts they might have in the back. Oh no, they don't even produce such antiques anymore!
This is when it dawned on me.....I have finally reached the age I have dreaded since I was a kid. I'm officially that girl lady. The one who clings to the fashions that were "cool" when she was young. I always felt bad for the women still wearing scrunchies but now I realize I could be classified among them for yearning for my flare cut jeans. I'm sorry but flare jeans were so much more slimming for the masses than so called skinny jeans. If there were a way to petition to bring them back, I would carry it around on a clipboard and harass strangers to sign it.
But since that's not an option, not only did I buy a pair of skinny jeans, I also bought a pair of "jeggings". Yup. Jean Leggings. And I have to sing their praises...they are exactly how I thought pajama jeans would feel! I kind of want to live in them.
It's totally sad that not only do I shop at the same store preferred by my 11 year old niece but I think I bought the same jeggings as she did. Is this what a female mid life thirtygirly crisis looks like?

6 comments:

  1. I haven't bought jeggings yet, I just can't do it. But that's interesting that you say they're really comfortable. Maybe I should give them a try after all. But I know I'll be forever loyal to my bootcuts, even if they fit into my Uggs awkwardly. I'm totally the thirtysomething lady who's not all there style-wise! Which kind of bums me out on the one hand, but on the other, I don't care that much. I do miss being young though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But what if all boot cut jeans become extinct??? I literally did not have the option to purchase them at this store. I actually have like 2 pairs of jeans that I am ridiculously loyal to while all the others stay folded in my dresser.
      And I'm worried that I'm somewhere between being too old to try to dress young and fear of being the scrunchie lady.

      Delete
    2. Bootcuts can't become extinct, they're too classic. Old Navy has good ones! If they do go extinct then my jeans are going to become vintage!

      Delete
  2. The girls at work were telling me that I should cut my hair short last week. I was giving them a firm hell-no, because short hair is for old ladies... and then realized that the advice was coming from two 35 year olds with short hair. I had to backpedal a bit, and then decided to diffuse the situation by showing them my nails, which I've recently painted with the "Shatter" style... I told them that "it's what all the kids are doing these days." They lauged at me in an a way that I knew they were judging my 30-something crisis.

    I've gotten a ton of compliments on my shatter nails, but not from anyone my age or older. And I still refuse to get short hair, ick. And no skinny jeans (how are they helpful when you're past the age of 15 and have hips? They just make me look fat!). However, I agree that I'm lost in the 30-something world of not knowing what's age appropriate beyond work clothes. Maybe we should look to the celebs of our actual age group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have straight leg slim jeans. I love them! They don't flare at the bottom, but aren't stuck on my ankles like glue. I think that skinnies would look great on you! You're one hot 30-something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you:) You are so fashionable that you can get away with the latest trends...it must be the California girl in you! Tradition loving New Englander that I am, I fear change even in the form of jeans.

      Delete