Friday, February 11, 2011

Thoughts on Marching to her Own Drum


I really enjoyed reading about the drummer from Neon Trees and her journey to unite her religion with her musical life...until she realized that they didn't have to be two separate things. For me, it ties back to my first blog post in which I talked about aligning my own work with  my religion. In contrast, my work life seems much easier to meld in since my church life focuses on service, as does my work life. But maybe I need to make more peace with them being less distinct. Of course it's more than that, though. It's lifestyle and belief system, not just work.

Elaine Bradley talks about feeling like God didn't want her to be happy, which, in part, I believe has to do with feeling this dichotomy is necessary. When I think about something as small as my nose ring, I really don't believe it's God that takes issue with it; it's the woman sitting in front of me at church. And like Elaine, I like to think honesty is an overriding theme in my life. I am a lot of things but I am not fake. (I will admit this has led me to some trouble at times!!) While some wear their hearts on their sleeves-good fit for nearing Valentine's Day?- I wear my social justice in my nose. I can't make myself feel that my Heavenly Father dislikes that about me, as much as the collective "you" may want me to.

This woman really gives me pause and inspiration. I hope she will for you, too.

1 comment:

  1. That's a really interesting interview! I enjoyed reading it. I hadn't heard of her before. I like reading about people's journeys in and out of the gospel and in life in general.

    ReplyDelete